Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

1000 gifts continued. So much to be thankful for.
#4 Autumn leaves
#5 For views out windows. It's one of the things that made me fall in love with our home. So many windows. I love watching as the view changes from season to season.
#6 For this church of ours. I didn't grow up going to church, nor did I really understand why people went to church, until I found this one. The perfect fit.
#7 Our church has 2 choirs, the Sanctuary Mass Choir, which sings African American gospel music, and the Chancel Choir (pictured), which sings more traditional hymns. This year, the Chancel Choir sang Handel's Messiah and it was SO beautiful, impressive, and moving. 
#8 We scored FREE tickets to The Nutcracker this year!! Best seats we've ever had too.
#9 Handmade Christmas cards. I never even get around to mailing store-bought cards, but I SO appreciate these handmade cards my friend Kathy makes each year. She started sending them to me in 2002 and they now fill our mantle each Christmas.

#10 The perfect-sized Christmas tree for our little parlor. It, along with our new wall paint color, up-cycled wreath made out of wool sweaters, and handmade Christmas cards made for such a festive living room this year.

#11 A white Christmas for us in North Carolina. We got 9 inches of snow when all was said and done. Alan's childhood friend, Clif, his wife, Trish, and their 3 kids joined us. We saw so many of Alan's good friends during this visit.

#12 Lilly went up and down this hill dozens of times.
#13 A girl and her pal, CJ
#14 I love to watch my daughter dance. She's so graceful, so unselfconscious.

#15 Comice pears are like candy. Juice, sweet, and so good in a salad with goat cheese, pecans, and pomegranate arils.
#16 This one is odd, I know. I'm grateful for the stroller cluttering up my front porch. I know I won't need it much longer.
#16 Old friends. My lovely college roommate came through town with her husband and their son. She still looks like she's in college, but I won't hold that against her. I need to spend more time with old friends. I miss them so.


2 comments:

  1. I have saved Kathy's cards, and I put them up every year too. They are so beautiful. Happy New Year, Marge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's no excuse, but I figure if I'm not going to make really beautiful or entertaining homemade cards, what's the point. So, I don't send them at all anymore. Neil Norman makes great cards too, but more of the humorous sort. I might try to write a New Year's letter next year. I say that every year. Who am I kidding?

    ReplyDelete