Sunday, March 15, 2009

Something from nothing


I didn't have a plan for dinner Saturday night, but I threw a few things together and wound up with a dish that tasted better than any take-out. OK, I'm not really that creative, so I followed a recipe from Cynthia Lair's website, Cookus Interruptus. If you haven't read Cynthia's book, Feeding the Whole Family, you must do so NOW. Her Emerald City Salad one of my all-time favorite dishes. I just happened to have all the ingredients for her Fried Rice recipe and Lemon Tahini Sauce. Together they were absolutely scrumptious on top of a mound of spinach. The Fried Rice is made with brown rice, currants, cashews, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, ghee (or butter), frozen peas and green onions. Instead of store-bought tahini, which I didn't have, I toasted some sesame seeds and pureed them with olive oil, which is all tahini is. Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. Yum...you are just gourmet city over there! :) I'll have to check out that cookbook. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! Sara, you should WRITE a book like Feeding the Whole Family so you can teach the rest of us how you've managed to keep Bella's diet so clean. Lil won't eat half the things she ate at the ages of 1 & 2, which is frustrating. Sometimes she seems to be getting better, but then we backtrack. Cynthia Lair's book pulls ingredients out of each recipe that you can feed to a baby over 6 or 9 months so you get kids in the habit of eating what you eat from the beginning. Some things you puree, like the kale, but others you give to them whole, like quinoa. I think you would really like most of the recipes. They're not all vegetarian, but the majority of them are. Her videos on the website are really funny.

    ReplyDelete