Sunday, October 21, 2012

Health


Thursday night around 9pm I started to feel a little nauseated. I tried chanting the mantra, "I'm not getting sick. I'm not getting sick." It didn't work. I threw up all night long, so many times that I lost count. By 6am, it was obvious that there was no way I was going to be able to stand up, much less get the kids to school, so Alan called work and told them he'd be a few hours late. He got the kids fed, dressed, and drove them to school. I was still so sick by the time he got home, he called work and told them he was taking the day off. He cleaned the house while I slept and picked the kids up after school. Next, he took Lil to her 4:30 doctor's appointment, and got their flu vaccines while they were there. Then he came home and cooked dinner. He was a rock star.

I slept all day and all night, but feel much better today. Being sick is the WORST. I can't help but think of all the people who are sick or in pain the majority of the time. All of the mothers enduring chemotherapy, who still have to suck it up and make breakfast for their kids. Folks suffering from depression, arthritis, lupus, multiple sclerosis, who may not feel 100% better in 24 hours, or even in a week. It's so clear after being sick that good health is the most important thing. We have to take care of ourselves, wipe down grocery cart handles, and stop sharing food with germy kids.

Onto better news, we sold our 1999 Buick Park Avenue on Wednesday! Selling a car is quite a job, but it was worth the effort. Alan put 2 newish tires on it, had it detailed, posted it on craigslist, fielded a few e-mails, met with 2 people, and sold it within a week.


Between bikes, Marta and Flex Car, we should have plenty of options for transportation. We're saving the money, as well as the $150/month we'll be saving on gas and insurance. The only morning I'll be without a car is on Thursdays when my husband works at 4am, which is before the trains run. The kids' schools are both within walking/biking distance of our house. Plus, we live in Atlanta, so I'm pretty sure we won't freeze to death.

We haven't started our house plans yet. We have permits, the plans are completed, the contractor is ready to start, but we are waiting on the bank. Apparently everyone wants to refinance at 3.5%. Go figure. I'll keep you posted.




2 comments:

  1. So sorry you weren't feeling well!! And yes, I don't know how some people deal with illness daily and still handle the rest of life! There are some truly amazing people out there! LOVE the scooter--can't wait to see you riding around town on it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jen! I haven't been sick in a couple of years, but urg, it was awful. As long as our families are healthy, what else matters? I seriously doubt you'll see me on the scooter, but we did just buy Jonny a used trail-a-bike, which attaches to my bike, so if you see 2 redheads on a bicycle built for two, it's us :-)

    ReplyDelete