Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Stuff and things

Today I volunteered in my son's pre-K class and it was such a huge relief to see him having fun and interacting with his classmates. For the first couple of weeks, I had NO idea what he was doing all day and the boy tells me nothing. His sister has been exploding with details since she learned how to speak. Every day she tells me what her teacher said, who played with whom at recess, which shirt her friend wore, and whose mom packs the best lunches. It's like she got all of the detail genes and left her poor brother speechless. Every now and then, he'll repeat something he heard at school in his best teacher voice, "You write letters TOP to Bottom." This week he came home saying, "barf." He didn't even know what it meant, but he liked the sound of it. I thought school would wear him out, but he's napping every single day. It's so odd having him in school all day. The end of an era. 

I'm so completely grateful to have a few months off to process these changes before applying for jobs. After 8 1/2 years of being with my kids nearly every single day, I deserve a break. That is all. If motherhood were a regular job, I would have had 442 weekends in those 8.5 years, plus at least 16 weeks of vacation. Not to mention, I would have gotten paid. So in 2 years and 6 months, if I still don't have a job, you're allowed to ask me what I do all day. 

In other news, I recently read The Glass Castle and loved every dysfunctional word of it.

Also, my brother's band, Dr Vitamin, released their latest album. It's REALLY good. I'm not biased or anything. Check it out: http://drvitamin.bandcamp.com/


photo by Kenzi Tainow Photography



No comments:

Post a Comment